Pages

Monday, September 22, 2014

10 Ways How NOT to Unpack After Moving

Unpacking is the worst.

In the last year, I've moved about 6 times. Out of those 6 times, how many times have I completely unpacked? That's right. ZERO.

Each time, I've moved into what's felt like a temporary space. Leases, college, and sudden life changes will do that to you. Even the house we're in now may very well only last a few months. But I'm putting my foot down! I'm saying "No!" to not unpacking!

I searched Pinterest for some unpacking tips, and they all told me I've done a terrible job so far. Don't worry, I already knew that. So while these tips are helpful for people who haven't started yet (or haven't started packing, even), what about those of us who are struggling to finish? Maybe a To-Don't list is better suited to our needs. Since I haven't yet found one, here you are:

10 Ways How NOT to Unpack After Moving

10. If you packed a couple of suitcases to make the transition easier, do NOT leave them in the middle of your bedroom. Get rid of that clutter ASAP!

9. While it's good to divide the boxes into categories in their respective rooms, do NOT put a majority of those boxes in the spare room. You're just lulling yourself into a sense of false accomplishment.

8. Do NOT procrastinate setting up major pieces of furniture. Those books will never see the light of day unless you get your bookcase squared away!

7. Do NOT make do with a third of your wardrobe. You'll be surprised at how many outfit combos you've been missing out on by neglecting all those boxes of clothes.

6. On that note, do NOT familiarize yourself with your clothing boxes too well. You'll be digging out certain items piece by piece for months if you know exactly where everything in hiding.

5. Do NOT allow clutter to settle before you've finished unpacking. It's easier to unpack immediately, than have to clear out a space for something that should've been there a month ago.

4. Do NOT buy paper plates and plastic utensils.

3. Do NOT hang on to duplicates. You're never going to need that third toaster. Just unpack it, and donate it!

2. Do NOT start using unpacked boxes as tables, nightstands, chairs, etc. If there's something on top of it, it'll never get opened or unpacked.

1. Finally, and most important, do NOT unpack your computer, TV, etc before everything else is done. Don't say I didn't warn you.

To those of you who, like me, are struggling to rid their house of cardboard. Don't give up! Know there are people just like you, fighting the same battle. We shall prevail!

2 comments:

  1. I am moving in with my fiance soon, this post made me giggle as I know I will probably do the complete opposite lol, tv is coming out first im betting!

    Lorraine xx
    http://weerainey.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete