Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The Taylor Swift Phenomenon

Something strange happens when I listen to Taylor Swift's old albums on full blast...

1. It's been an okay day. I come home and there are 10,000 things I have to do. On top of that, there's something pressing on my mind. Maybe it's a romantic problem, work issue, whatever. It's bugging me, though.

2. I change into sweats, pull my hair up, and whip out WallE, the laptop. I open iTunes and put T-Swift on shuffle, enough songs to last me about 3 hours. 

3. As I sing along to "White Knight" and "Fearless", I set to work on homework, laundry and dishes. Productivity is increased by 115%.

4. Old memories rush into my mind: high school drama, old loves, and fun-filled times with my best friend, Michelle. I re-analyze every mistake I've ever made, think of what I'd say to people who've done regrettable things to me, and make peace with all of it. Only the good things linger in my heart.

5. By the time all 39 songs have played, I'm done with my work and am ready to cuddle up to a book. That thing that was pressing on my mind? Oh, it still isn't solved. But it doesn't seem so important anymore. I'm just looking forward to when I can see my favorite faces: Daniel, my family, Michelle... Being away from those you love is hard. (At least my Bear comes home in just a couple hours. :) 

6. Overall, I feel better after the process. I feel better prepared for whatever is ahead. Something about a great tune is soothing.

Taylor: keep up the good work. Your songs are like menthol for my troubled mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment