Pages

Sunday, January 18, 2015

5 Things They Never Tell You about "Winter Wonderland"s

I was pretty sure, moving here to Idaho, that I was prepared for the possibility of inclement weather. I thought Colorado taught me everything I needed to know to survive. I was wrong. This is for all you fellow Arizona natives, who may be heading up North...ever. Beware.

1. Ice coating your windshield is not a myth. And I'm not talking about that puny layer you scrape off with a credit card once a year. I mean a thick sheet that requires your defroster and a lot of elbow grease. Wherever you're going, leave 10 minutes early.

2. Wipe your shoes off 10 times before walking on anything other than carpet. That fresh snow absolutely loves to cling to the tread of your shoes. If you only scrape your soles 9 times, you'd better have a rail, table, man, anything as backup to break your fall.

3. Snow is calm and beautiful 95% of the time. Whenever there isn't snow, there is wind. Wear layers upon layers and your teeth might stop chattering.

4. There is such a thing as "Frozen Fog". This is when there is fog, and it's so cold, it literally coats everything with frost, while simultaneously lobbing teeny snowflakes at you. It's so freezing, it makes you want to cry, which would suck because your tears would freeze.

5. Believe it or not, it's all even more beautiful than in the movies. Perfect snowflakes actually exist, and building snowmen is a blast. As cold--and sometimes miserable--as it is, it's really pleasant to see the world painted white again and again.

Whenever I mention that I'm from Arizona, everyone here gives me a look of pure sympathy. However, I'm not so sure this season would be as fun if I'd grown up with it... I love AZ, but I'm also loving the snow! But now that I've warned you of all the dangers, you'd best stay away, or you'll end up in love with it, too! ;)

Stay warm, everyone!  xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment