Pages

Friday, September 11, 2015

Getting Healthy: Snacks

Daniel and I have been making a solid effort in the last few months to really kick some bad health habits.  We were doing pretty good, too...until we went on a month-long vacation.  However, we are home and so ready to get back in the groove! I thought it might be cool to post about the changes we're making, just in case it inspires any of you, and we can all use this space to swap health tips! I'm a firm believer that getting healthy is about small, long-lasting changes, so as we're introducing them into our lifestyle, I'll share them!

Episode One: Snacking!

That's kind of a bad word in the health dictionary isn't it? Usually the first thing you think of when you hear it is potato chips and cookies. Well, don't worry, snacking is actually really good in moderation. Healthy snacks can keep your metabolism going between meals, so long as you're not eating out of boredom.

My mother-in-law has kind of a brilliant way to encourage healthy snacking. It's so awesome, I couldn't resist trying it out and sharing with you guys!


Ta-da!! This is the designated snack drawer of our fridge! Each snack comes in a little snack-size bag (not sandwich-sized) for convenience. And let me tell you how convenient that is! 
Scenario: You're feeling peckish and have two choices: grab that bag of potato chips, or cut up some celery. Ummm I don't know about you, but just the thought of dirtying a cutting board and knife just for a few veggie sticks makes me dive into those chips every time! 
Scenario 2: You're feeling munchy before dinner and while checking the fridge for anything edible, you spy the pre-portioned snacks you prepared. So many options, too! I've already forgotten about the potato chips from last weekend's bbq. 

Now, I've been doing this myself for about two weeks, and it really works! I have cookies in the freezer, crackers and granola bars in the cupboard, but I end up grabbing fruit or vegetables every time! It's as if I now immediately associate "snacks" with the healthy stuff in the fridge. It's like magic! (Sure I tend to favor the fruits, but I'm working on it.) I love the convenience and the knowledge that if I can have just one, there's no way I'm over-eating. Not to mention, I don't feel gross afterward!

Here's our snack list so far:
-Small apples
-Celery and peanut butter
-Bag o' grapes
-Assorted nuts or Trail mix
-Carrots and ranch
-Nectarines
-Small peaches

I'll probably be keeping a few in rotation to avoid boredom, so if you have any more ideas, shout them out! Happy snacking!!

1 comment:

  1. I think my favorite healthy snack are any kind of berries!

    xoxo,
    Natalie
    Trending In Fashion

    ReplyDelete